Posted April 20, 2017on:
This is a sort of oldie but goodie, 14 Hilarious Homework Excuses from students.
I asked a question in my tweet and I suggest some answers. Warning: My answers are not funny. They are actually quite sad.
- This is the way things have always been done.
- I know no other way. There is no other way.
- You can show me better alternatives, but I will reject them (see #1 and #2).
- I do not want parents to complain that their kids do not have homework.
- It is business (busy-ness) as usual: I am busy, parents are busy, so kids must also be busy.
- If I suffer, they must suffer. Suffering builds character.
- Practice makes perfect.
- We could not finish all the work in class, so they must do the work at home.
- Like blood, sweat, and tears, homework is manifestation of effort or lack thereof.
- All the above prepare kids for work.
Where is the reflective and critical practice around homework? What does research reveal about homework? Dare you read and learn from these curated resources?