What do MOOCs offer universities?
Posted October 31, 2014on:
edX CEO Anant Agarwal shared a statistic at the beginning of his TED talk. About 155,000 people took an edX course offered by MIT. This number was larger than the entire alumni of MIT in its 150 year history.
But MOOC reach was not what Agarwal wanted to highlight. Instead, he described how experiments in MOOCs were informing university faculty on:
- Going where the learner is at (online, mobile)
- Designing blended and flipped lessons
- Promoting active learning by designing interactive and self-paced lessons
- Providing instant feedback
- Leveraging on social learning
- Getting students to learn by encouraging them to teach
In other words, relevant and progressive pedagogy.