Research & Publications
I am interested in the technical, social and pedagogical affordances of educational Web 2.0. In particular, I examine how technology-mediated pedagogies change to suit the learners, technology, environment, etc.
I actively use wikis, blogs, Twitter, online mind maps, the Google Apps suite, Facebook, Prezi, SlideShare, etc. I have also dabbled with VoiceThread, podcasting, screencasting and sketchcasting, amongst other things.
As the Head of the Centre for e-Learning (CeL), my agenda is to promote learning that is social, open and mobile. On the side I am also interested in video game-based learning, mobile learning, surface computing… just about anything related to educational technology!
The active research project which I am part of is Pre-Service Teachers in a Ubiquitous Computing Environment: One-to-One Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL).
Here is a short list of recent and pending publications:
Papers and book chapters
- Tan, A. (2011). Why write with wikis?. In Ho, C. M. L,, Anderson, K.T., & Leong, A. P. (Eds.), Transforming Literacies and Language: Multimodality and Literacy in the New Media Age (pp. 207-222). London: Continuum.
- Chen, W., Lim, C., & Tan, A. (2011). From many-to-one to one-to-many: The evolution of ubiquitous computing in education. Educational Technology, L1(1), 21-25.
- Tan, A. (2010). Wikis. In Chai, C.S., & Wang, Q. (Eds.), ICT for Self-directed and Meaningful Learning (pp. 249-261). Singapore: Pearson.
- Chen, W.L., Lim, C., & Tan, A. (2010). Pre-service teachers’ ICT experiences and competencies: New generation of teachers in digital age. In Proceedings of International Conference on Computers in Education 2010 (pp. -). KL: Asia- Pacific Society of Computers in Education.
The ICT Experiences and Attitudes of Pre-service Teachers in a Ubiquitous Computing Environment: A Case Study
- Tan, A. (2009, Jan/Feb). The fun in future learning. iknow, 30-31. [iknow-magazine-issue-10-future_learning]
- Tan, A. (2009, Mar/Apr). Classroom Version 2.0. iknow, 23-25. [iknow-magazine-issue-11-classroom_20]
- Tan, A. (2009, May/June). Educational Web 2.0. iknow, 26-27. [iknow-magazine-issue-12-web_20]
- Tan, A. (2009, July). Do you need a Second Life? iknow, 26-27. [iknow-magazine-issue-13-second_life]
- Tan, A. (2009, October). Are you cheating your students? iknow, 26-27. [PDF not available]