From schooling to education
Posted September 24, 2012on:
I had this Vimeo video on my watch later list. I regret not watching it before my 10′CMT keynote as I would have used parts of it to reinforce my message or to say it for me!
This video starts with the question: Might the information age have presented us with the opportunity for a fundamental reimagining of the way we educate our children?
My reaction: Why just imagine? Why not change already?
Then the video reminded me that it takes a long time for mindsets to shift:
- From: What do we want our kids to learn (content-wise)?
- To: What experiences to we want our kids to have?
From the video I gleaned suggestions for an overall strategy for the mind shift:
- We need to recognize that schools remove context and authenticity from learning so that the natural drive and fun of learning are squeezed out of kids.
- We learn how to leverage on the natural burning need to know or create real and meaningful reasons to know.
- We focus less on how to deliver content (one to one, one to many, other permutations); we focus more on how to connect people with other people and resources.