If South Park did BYOD
Posted August 23, 2012on:
Here are some key concepts this video makes about Bring Your Own Device (BYOD):
- It is about meeting the needs of many, not the few
- Device divide: Will the haves show off and the have-nots just have not?
- BYOD does not make technology mandatory; it makes it allowed
I would emphasize that BYOD is also about:
- Allowing those who have to bring and use what they have
- Providing for those who don’t by using money saved because you no longer need to provide for everyone
- Narrowing the divide, not widening it
Opponents of BYOD need to stick their heads where the sun shines. Yes, the costs and policies shift to wireless infrastructure and security, but this is typically less because you remove or streamline procurement and persistent technical support.
Ultimately, opponents of BYOD unwittingly promote denying access to all because of some (or a few) who have not. This is old-school, illogical, and selfish.